Symptoms Acute Back Pain
With acute back pain (90% of the back injuries) the pain will occur suddenly as a strain in the back. The symptoms of acute back problems, also called spit or lumbago, vary from person to person. You will recognize the following symptoms when you suffer from acute low back pain:
- Sudden twinge of pain in the lower back
- Usually sharp radiating pain
- Stiff feeling due to spasmodic muscles around the lower back
- Restriction of movement of the lower spine
- Pain radiating to the buttocks and thighs
- Pain when moving, bending over and turning
- Sitting for long periods is often painful
- Difficulty getting up
Types of Back Pain
Depending on the intensity and duration, we divide the acute back complaints into three categories:
- Acute back pain – less than 6 weeks in duration
With back pain in the middle and lower back, the pain arises suddenly and often goes away naturally. When the complaints come back, it is strongly recommended to do something about it. You will often notice a quick improvement after a few physiotherapy treatments.
- Sub-acute back pain – 6 to 12 weeks
With this type of back pain, the complaints last longer up to a maximum of 3 months.
- Chronic back pain – more than 12 weeks
When pain persists for more than 3 months the problem should be categorized as chronic back pain. Chronic back pain not only has a major impact on work performance, but also on the home situation and social life. A spine issue can lead to other problems as well, such as neck pain, pelvic instability, shoulder pain and headaches, abdominal pain or other complaints.
Causes of Acute Back Pain
The cause of acute back problems can be identified as non-specific or specific:
Non-specific acute back pain
This discomfort often arises from a malfunctioning combination of back muscles, ligaments, joints and nerves due to the following common causes:
- Overloading the joints and muscles.
- Heavy physical work in which the dorsal vertebrae are used incorrectly or overloaded (for example, a lot of lifting, bending over, turning using the wrong lifting technique).
- As a result of being overweight.
- Poor posture due to deteriorated muscle balance, heavy breasts, depression.
- Prolonged poor posture, in which someone does not walk and sit upright enough.
- Sudden wrong movement.
- Inactivity (weak abdominal and back muscles).
- Fatigue and stress (too much strain on the back muscles).
- Trauma from improper movement, sports, a fall, or an accident.
Specific acute back pain
This pain can be identified by a physical cause, which often needs to be determined through additional diagnostics. For example:
- Intervertebral bulge (hernia, spit).
- Intervertebral disc narrowing and degeneration (osteoarthritis, stenosis, facet pain).
- Vertebral collapse due to aging (osteoporosis).
- Congenital abnormalities, S-bend at the spine (scoliosis) or a difference in leg length.
- When muscles cramp, it can cause inefficient blood supply to the heart, which can lead to heart problems or an impending heart attack.
- Lung issues and pain in the lungs caused by smoking, pneumonia, an incorrect posture can cause acute back pain.
- Pelvic tilt (pelvic instability).
What are the Treatment Options?
What to do in case of acute back pain? Fysio Masters has been specialized for years in the treatment and remedy of various types of back pain. During the extensive intake, we examine your spine and clarify where the pain comes from. We then develop a personal back program together with you.
Our treatment for back pain focuses on:
- Soothing spasmodic muscles by mobilization treatments.
- Reduce pain through pain-reducing techniques.
- Increase mobility by manipulation treatments.
- Teaching correct posture during work and sports.
- Increase strength and stability in your spine through back exercises.
- The result will be a back that is supple and relieved of pain.
Treatment Methods for Acute Back Pain
Fysio Masters has been using various unique treatment methods for acute back pain for years. After an extensive intake by one of our back experts, we determine the most effective treatment plan for your specific situation. Our high testimonial scores on a platform such as Zorgkaart Nederland highlights the effectiveness of our methods.
- Spinal Mouse Back Scan
- Dry Needling
- Manual Therapy
- Back Brace
- Medical Taping
- Acute Lumbago Exercises
Request an Appointment
Do you suffer from acute back pain? In most cases, low back pain may resolve without any treatment, however, if it persists for more than 3 days, medical intervention is necessary. Treating the underlying conditions offers you relief from back pain. Call our back pain experts to start your recovery process today.06-10343160 Whatsapp +31610343160 Book Online